Middle Harbour Yacht Club is gearing up for another busy season of keelboat sailing and there are a number of opportunities for women to participate.
The highly popular Thursday Twilight Series includes twenty five races this year, six of which make up the Women’s Twilight Pointscore. Four divisions of yachts, from family cruisers to purebred racing machines, share the joy of racing on our spectacular harbour. Perhaps the best part of the day is returning to the lively social atmosphere of MHYC as the sun goes down to enjoy a meal, wine and good friends.
Starting at 6pm, the 2019-2020 Women’s Twilight Race dates are:
- Thursday, 17 October 2019
- Thursday, 14 November 2019
- Thursday, 12 December 2019
- Thursday, 30 January 2020
- Thursday, 27 February 2020
- Thursday, 26 March 2020
The club’s final keelboat regatta of the year is the MHYC Women’s Regatta, being held on Saturday May 9. This year’s event was a great success, with 23 entries from 8 clubs and a combination of sprint and harbour passage races on offer.
We also encourage MHYC sailors to participate in other clubs’ regattas. Some of the events already listed include:
- 5-6 October 2019 – Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron Ladies of the Sea
- 24 November 2019 – Royal Prince Edward Yacht Club Women on Water
- 28 March 2020 - Manly Yacht Club Womens OTB Challenge
- 29 March 2020 - Manly Yacht Club Womens Keelboat Challenge
- 9 May 2020 - MHYC Womens Keelboat Regatta
- 6-8 June 2020 - Australian Womens Keelboat Regatta (RMYS-VIC)
There are a range of other club programs that can appeal to women and girls. Junior & Youth learn to sail programs include Tackers, Discover Sailing courses and Out There Sailing. In keelboats for adults, Saturday Social Sailors is a new series of short pursuit races providing a relaxed and social style of weekend race. There are also sprint race days during summer and winter.
For further information, contact MHYC Sailing Administrator Catherine Rofe